What is Forward Head Posture and How to fix it – Top 10 Exercises for Correction
Forward head posture is not something you just take lightly it can have a major impact on your overall fitness levels, Neck muscles, and also affects your overall lifting capability in the gym.
A Forward Head Posture is where your head extends forward over the Atlas vertebra on which your heads relaxes on. Forward Head Posture not only affects your athletic performances but also it causes Migraine, Arthritis, shoulder and neck pain and many other problems which may cause you a big discomfort every day.
Forward Head Posture is more prone to People who sit a long time in front of the computer or sleep topsy-turvy on the bed. Every inch your Head is more forward over your Atlas you putting additional pressure on your Neck muscles which can cause long-term health problems.
Each inch your ears moves forward from your shoulders it will create an additional 10 pounds pressure on your neck muscles.
This condition mainly happens when your back muscles (Traps & Extensor) are very much strong and tight and your front neck muscles called (flexor) are weak which is why it can’t handle the weight of your head.
It will create too much tension in your C4 and C5 area. Which can cause several types of pain and discomfort in your entire body and also affects your overall athletic performance.
The Symptoms’ related to Forward head Posture can easily find out as if you experience additional pressure on the shoulder and neck whole time. This means that your neck and shoulder muscles carrying additional pounds whole day which leads to an isometric reduction of shoulder and neck muscles. This isometric reduction of shoulders and neck muscles can cause improper blood circulation in the muscles, due to which pain and soreness in the neck muscles occur.
These are some of the most common symptoms of Forward Head Posture comprise:-
These are some of the most common signs and symptoms but you can also check if you have forward head posture or not by examining yourself, just relax and stand still straight if your ears move forward from your shoulder that means you have forward head posture problem.
1 Thing Justin Beiber Taught Me in 2016
Forward Head Posture mainly caused by using improper form while doing things like:-
These are some of the factors that can cause forward head posture. The dilemma is that recurring forward and downward facing stances cause hypotonic and hypertonic or lengthening and shortening of several main muscles like trapezius, rhomboid, and lavater, and pectoral, annoyance of cervical nerves and deterioration of cervical vertebrae.
If the position of the head and spine is not paramount, the neck can be inclined to injury or the unhealthy effects of erosion over time.
If you found out that you have trouble keeping your head straight or AKA forward head posture problem takes important steps immediately as soon as possible. Because ignoring this situation for a long time can cause you to have serious or negative health consequences such as degenerative joint disease, and myofascial pain syndrome. To treat Forward head posture you must first have to strengthen your weak muscle and have to stretch the strong muscle.
So, in this case, we have to stretch the Traps muscles and the muscles exist in front of the upper body, which comprises of pectoralis major and pectoralis minor, and have to train to strengthen the weak area of the front neck (Flexor) and the muscles exist in the back of the upper body, which consists of the rhomboid muscle. You don’t notice this but you look shorter for about 1-2 inches because of FHP.
1. Practice Deep breathing exercises as it is best to correct the forward head posture by soothing the stressed muscle.
2. Make sure not to load unnecessary load or stress on the back of your neck.
3. Most people only do chest and biceps in the gym and ignore the abs muscles that are important to keep your posture straight and make you injury-free in the gym.
4. Stretching of strong muscles and strengthening the weak muscles should be done on regular basis. Start strengthening the muscles down from your hips to all the way back up to your neck, back, head, and chest.
5. Make sure you sit in the right posture while working on your computer at home or at a desk in the office. A correct posture may help you to get rid of Forward Head Posture fast.
6. Practising fine posture while driving a car, using a mobile phone, working on a computer at work or office, Reading or while sleeping is very much favourable to your musculoskeletal system, as a result, it helps in improving your forward head posture fast.
It is a stretching exercise of the neck muscles (extensor & flexor). In this exercise, you have to place your both hand on the back of your skull and slowly start pushing your head against it. Repeat this stretch 3-4 times for about 30 seconds.
2. Chin Nod
First, Relax and sit straight or you can also do this exercise while lying down.
After that slowly start moving your head up and down.
If you can feel the stretch at the side and in front of your neck muscles you are doing it the right way.
This exercise is a bit different it is against gravity.
First, lie down on your stomach while keeping your head off the edge of the bed or table. You can also do this exercise in sitting position
Second, Use a thera band back of your neck and start pulling it lightly forward while keep on tucking your chin up and down
This exercise is done against the gravity which puts a great amount of stretch on the neck muscle.
Repeat this exercise for about 20-25 times for at least 5 seconds
4. Self MYO-Facial Stretch
Self Myo is a very easy and effective exercise to relieve neck pain and treat forward head posture
- First, you need to have a ball, a normal tennis ball is fine
- Now keep the ball between your affected area and a wall
- Roll the ball up and down around on your affected area.
- If you start feeling the pain then you are hitting the right area and then try to roll the ball for 5 minutes in this particular area.
- It is a very good exercise for Neck extensor and scapula muscle.
If you got neck pain & tight shoulder this exercise will be very helpful to you.
The effect of this exercise is that your neck is going to become elongated so you become taller. You want to stretch your neck & at the same time your chin is going to
be tucking in.
So the head movement is backward but kind of slight upward so that it seems like a double chin.
Hold this position for about 5 seconds and repeat it at least 15-20 times.
6. Chin Tuck against gravity
This is an effective exercise for your neck muscles.
- In this exercise, you have to first lie on your stomach by keeping your head off the edge from the table or bed.
- Slowly start tucking your chin in and out
- This exercise puts a great effort on your neck muscles.
- Hold the position for about 5 seconds and repeat at least 20-25 times.
- Stand up straight and look forward.
- Slowly rotate the head to the right then look down and stretch your neck.
- Do this exercise to train both sides of your neck extensor muscles.
- Do 3 sets of this exercise every day each set last for 30-40 seconds. You can do this at your home or at your office.
- Stand up straight or you can do this while sitting down
- Look straight forward and slowly bring your chin down to the level that it touches your chest.
- Hold it down and go back.
- Repeat this exercise 15-20 times
This exercise is superb for both your extensor and flexor muscles of your neck.
- First, lay down on your stomach at bench or bed straight.
- Put a 5lbs plate behind your neck and try to contract and stretch your neck muscles slowly by looking up and down.
- Make sure to use a bench or a bed for a better range of motion.
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps of this exercise every day.
- Interlock your fingers and put them behind your neck.
- Now gently push your head forward with both of your hands & apply pressure with your head against it.
- Make sure to create equal stress on your neck muscle
If your pain doesn’t go away after doing these exercises please speak to a professional massage therapist and Chiropractors because they are master in this field and can understand your position pretty fast. They can find out the root of your pain and know how to fix them.
Jawbone and also construct most favorable spine alignment which alleviates strain on your nerves. It is very easy to use and portable that you can take it anywhere
It can fit in your backpack, purse or in a suitcase. The quality of this product is superb which is why it can last long for many years.
This is a premium Neck traction device which is useful in relieving neck pain caused by surgery, accident, injury or any other type of pain. It doesn’t matter
If you have short, thin, big, or long neck it can adjust on your neck perfectly. This is an FDA approved product so you don’t have to worry about its reliability.
This is a bit expensive but hey, it’s a quality product and quality comes with a price. The best thing about this is its lifetime warranty
If it stops working by any technical mean company will repair it for free or give you a new one.
Again a great product but this is a brace, not a device and you can wear it anytime or whenever you feel comfortable. It can be customized or trimmed to make
A perfect fit for your body type. It can be worn while sitting at the office or at home or while sleeping too, to fix the posture of your back and neck and
Help you stand up straighter.
Wear it daily for about 30 min and slowly starts to increase the time when your spine, shoulder and back muscle adapt the new posture. It is designed to fix your Back and the shoulder portion. This is designed as a backpack which makes it easy to put on.
This device is designed to improve the pressure on your nerves by improving your posture and extend your neck. A hair air pump allows you to modify the device for
Best possible support and compression on your neck muscles. This device increases your neck position for most favorable spinal alignment and takes
Off the pressure from your shoulder, back, and neck. It is very simple to use and very portable so you can take it anywhere you want.
It has 1-year Manufacturer warranty
This is a spinal healing pillow which helps in the correction of Forward Head Posture. It also helps in full spine alignment to provide relief to your lower back pain.
It’s an Orthopedic spinal curing pillow that consists of several density blends tactically combined and separately hand assembled to give ideal spinal corrective
Support and soothe in all sleeping positions.
- Spinal sustain pillow for back and side sleepers.
- Posture correcting,
- Back and neck pain assistance for back and side sleepers.
- Supports corrective spinal alignment and spinal healing as you sleep.
- Improves posture forward Head Posture while sleeping.
- Helps correct Forward Head Posture.
You can now Correct Forward Head Posture while sleeping.
or you can try this Product “Forward Head Posture Fix” down below which is made by top fitness expert of CriticalBench. This program is designed for people of any age who want to fix their forward head posture problem fast. Many people including myself get huge benefits from this program this includes:-
1. No more ugly looking head.
2. Proper alignment of the head with the body.
3. No more Neck or shoulder pain.
4. Loose weight. (As it contains exercise programs)
This program contains an exercise pattern that not only helps you to fix your head and neck problem but also helps in regaining your natural posture so that you can perform at your optimum level.
If you order it now you can also get a bonus with it which is “Lower Back Lifestyle Audit” which helps in treating your several back problems and another one is “10 Best Natural Sleep Solutions” which is created for people that suffering from insomnia and other sleeping disorders. Order Now to get three of these